Thursday, September 02, 2010

Master!

Wow it's been a while since I've blogged! Just finished the thesis! Seems like it's been a long time coming, but then again the time has flown and I'm feeling nostalgic for my grad school days already! This time last summer I was agonizing over my model development and completely disliking the thesis track, but in the last few months I really began to enjoy the work as I began to run scenarios and started to see some results - thus, linking model back to the purpose of the modeling, to think about what is going on/could happen in the real world! But the thesis is the past. Already I'm feeling a shift. I went to a B.C. Water Science strategy this past week and interacted with scientists and government policy folk working on action and implementation of ideas. Yes! That's where it's at! Although my thesis could be considered "useful", I doubt any aspect of it will lead to a direct action or even change of thought. I want to repurpose myself to start doing works that have outcomes again. I want to take the energy and enthusiasm for ideas of the academic world and apply them to a work setting. But that desire will have to incubate a little bit longer. Right now I'm preparing for another conference on environmental governance (especially as related to water) in Mexico, and for a completely different sort of action - a bike tour!

Keep an eye out for more frequent posts as I enter into a less busy and more contemplative phase in these upcoming months.

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Don Berg said...

Hooray for the MASTER! I can't wait to read it.

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous mdcatlady said...

That's crazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home